InfraSTructurEs for Living LAbs
Funded by the German Research Foundation, the STELLA project aimed to establish an evaluation infrastructure to evaluate search and recommender services during live operation of web-based search systems with real users. STELLA provides an integrated e-research environment for the research areas of information retrieval and recommender systems. The experimental set-up differs significantly both from traditional TREC studies that can only be carried out offline and from other user studies that can only be performed under laboratory conditions. STELLA gives researchers access to an evaluation methodology that could previously only be utilised on large commercial platforms in the industrial arena.
The project will be continued in STELLA II.
ZB MED’s role in the project
- Connecting LIVIVO to the STELLA infrastructure via an API and integrating recommender systems that had already been developed.
- Developing a methodology tailored to LIVIVO to improve the ranking algorithms.
- Participating in a planned research initiative with a system that uses recognized biomedical entities in queries and documents to improve ranking algorithms.
December 2018 – August 2022
German Research Foundation (DFG)
- TH Köln – University of Applied Sciences
- GESIS Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences, Cologne