Strong alliance for the Life Sciences
ZB MED and the Bielefeld Institute for Bioinformatics Infrastructure (BIBI) jointly provide researchers in the life sciences with important IT solutions, data and scientific literature. The alliance offers solutions that cover the entire spectrum of information supply and data analysis: a unique combination of literature and information supply with the computer-aided analysis of large amounts of data. This enables new research insights for researchers in all disciplines of the life sciences as well as bioinformatics.
Sustainable information supply, infrastructure and support for the data-driven research cycle
BIBI adds modern infrastructures and expertise in bioinformatics to ZB MED's comprehensive range of services. Through the strategic alliance of ZB MED and BIBI, numerous new services are being realised: bioinformatics IT solutions and the graduate school "Digital Infrastructure for the Life Sciences" (DILS).
The alliance of ZB MED (visualised by the orange layer) and BIBI (visualised by the blue layer) leads to numerous new services (visualised by the grey layer) as well as to an expansion of existing services by linking of content, data science, cloud infrastructures and the expansion of target groups. This way, ZB MED/BIBI are jointly committed to Open Science for the life sciences.
Key points of the strategic alliance
- October 2018: Cooperation agreement between ZB MED and Bielefeld University on the joint development of information services for the life sciences
- June 2019: Foundation of the Bielefeld Institute for Bioinformatics Infrastructure (BIBI)
- August 2019: Foundation of the Graduate School "Digital Infrastructure for the Life Sciences" (DILS) at BIBI with the participation of ZB MED
- de.NBI Coordination and Administration Office at BIBI – ZB MED is an associated member of de.NBI
- Cooperation in practice: for example use of LIVIVO in the cloud infrastructure for the project STELLA
- Cooperation on biomedical fact repositories, for example in the DiASPora project
- Joint supervision of the first doctoral students in the Graduate School DILS
- Organisation of joint workshops since 2020
- 2020: Development of a common strategy: "ZB MED/BIBI 2020-2025: Strengthening people and the environment with research and infrastructure"