All persons resident in Germany can apply for a library card from the ZB MED online by e-mail. The user card is free of charge.
We will set up a user account for you and send you your user card number by e-mail. With your user card number you can register with LIVIVO to order media, among other things. You can then pick up your user card at our library or you will receive it when you come by to borrow the media you ordered.
- a valid ID card, or
- a passport together with proof of residence in the form of a registration certificate (Meldebescheinigung)
- a driving licence together with proof of residence in the form of a registration certificate (Meldebescheinigung)
- a foreign ID card together with proof of residence in the form of a registration certificate (Meldebescheinigung) or electronic residence permit (eAT)
User cards are valid for one semester in the case of students, and one year for everybody else. After this period, you can extend the validity of your user card by presenting the required documents. To extend the validity send an e-mail to email@example.com.
The authorisation for a user card can be annulled on request. Please note that the card will no longer be valid if you no longer meet the eligibility requirements. Please return invalid user cards to ZB MED.
Please also inform us without delay if there are any changes to or inaccuracies in the information you provided on the application form, or if there are any changes that affect the eligibility requirements.
What if I lose my user card?
Your user card remains the property of the library and is non-transferable. It must be handled with care and kept in a safe place. If you lose your card, you must notify the library without delay. Remember that you are liable for any misuse of your user card even if no fault or negligence has occurred. The charge for issuing a new copy of a user card is 10 euros.
To search for books and other media, please use our LIVIVO search portal. The search results give details of the location and tell you whether the item is currently out on loan. Any items that are marked as available for borrowing can be taken out on loan immediately.
If you need assistance with conducting a search, please contact the reference desk.
- As a general rule, the loan period for all items is four weeks.
- The loan period may be shortened for service-related reasons or if another user has made a reservation.
- If you return items by post, you will be liable for the risk and costs involved. The return date will be the date the items actually arrive at the library.
- Items must be received by the library no later than the last day of the loan period.
- Overdue fines shall be charged for any items that are returned late in accordance with § 1 of the ZB MED scale of fees and charges.
- You can only renew items if there are five days or fewer remaining before the loan period expires.
- You need to submit your request no later than 9 PM on the final day of the loan period (overdue charges will become due after this time).
- You can also request a renewal after the loan period has ended, though overdue charges will be payable for the interim period.
- Items can only be renewed twice (provided that the item has not been reserved by another user).
- The library is entitled to shorten loan periods if an item has been reserved and will send you a message if this becomes necessary.
- It is not possible to request renewals for books from the textbook collection.
- It is not possible to request renewals if your user account has accumulated charges of 20 euros or more.
Payment of fees and charges
You can pay the accruing fees by bank transfer to:
- ZB MED – Informationszentrum Lebenswissenschaften
Sparkasse Köln Bonn
IBAN DE89 3705 0198 1931 7797 12
Please be sure to include your user card ID number in this form as the reason for payment:
- Ausweisnr.: 04005534xxx (your complete user card IDD)