Leibniz Library Network for Research Information – Goportis
The ZB MED is a member of the Leibniz Library Network for Research Information known as Goportis. Goportis is a network of national libraries in Germany which includes the German National Library of Science and Technology (TIB) and the Kiel and Hamburg-based German National Library of Economics (ZBW) in addition to the ZB MED. These three libraries are also members of the Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Scientific Community (WGL), which is why the Goportis network's full title is ‘Leibniz Library Network for Research Information – Goportis’.
The network was established in March 2009 with the aim of creating a proper institution out of the group’s ongoing collaborative work.
The aim of Goportis is to utilise the skills of the partner libraries to support researchers' individual scientific work processes in order to promote excellence in research.
Goportis sets out to achieve this in a number of different ways:
- Goportis conducts applied research in the field of information science and provides information infrastructures which it continuously strives to improve.
- As a network, Goportis represents the interests of science and research and supports political decision-making processes.
- Goportis maintains and develops strategic cooperative ventures with national and international partners.
- Germany's national libraries are Web-based information service providers which strive to meet the challenges of making digital information available.
- They are entrusted with the task of providing, communicating and safeguarding content. Their common mission is to preserve their stocks of print and digital media.
- Goportis seeks to broaden its activities to encompass international partners, especially on an EU level.
Goportis is operated as a strategic network of the research-based libraries ZB MED, ZBW and TIB.
You can find more information about the activities and projects of the Goportis libraries on the Goportis website. This site also includes information on upcoming conferences, useful links and contact details.